Is the Joyfully Curly Cut Right For You?
Take the Joyfully Curly Challenge!
Joy follows the philosophy created by Lorraine Massey. Clients will benefit from Joy's 12+ years of experience, evolving knowledge, dedication and passion to exclusively serving naturally curly hair of all types. Joy's goal is to help you "love your curls."
Joy is selectively taking new clients who are committed to the curly hair lifestyle:
- Wear their hair (primarily) curly
- Only use sulfate-free, silicone-free, and heavy oil-free (water soluble) products
- Have read Lorraine’s book Curly Girl Handbook
“I estimate that 65% of all women have wavy or curly hair, but many have never been aware of it or have been fighting their natural bent and misunderstanding their hair for years,” Lorraine Massey.
At the core of the curly hair philosophy is the belief that water is the most important element for curly hair. Following the Curly Girl Handbook process means rejecting chemicals that repel water from the hair and the harsh cleaners that must be used to remove those chemicals once they are on the hair. In general, all silicone, sulfates, and heavy water blocking oils should be avoided. Unfortunately, most products marketed for curly hair are filled with these chemicals and too much natural oils/butters to be water soluble.
To properly prepare for your first consultation and cut, you should follow the following steps outlined below. The success of your cut depends on getting your hair into proper condition before you set foot in the salon.
- Purchase a silicone and sulfate free system that is also free of parabens, heavy oils, butters, and other non-water soluble ingredients. Joy recommends the Deva product line which is always silicone and sulfate free. They are available at the salon, at beauty stores such as Ulta, or online.
- Use the products for 2-3 weeks to get your hair adjusted. Not going to lie, these can be HARD weeks, but hang in there! Better hair will be your reward once the chemicals are worked out (baking soda cleanse will make this transition faster, see below).
- If after using the products for 2 or 3 weeks, you still feel build up on your hair, try doing a baking soda cleanse (again) for a deep clean to remove any lingering non-water soluble substances. Find the easy-to-make recipe on the FAQ page.
- Email Joy to schedule your appointment and get the BEST haircut of your life. To be considered as a new client, Lorraine’s book Curly Girl Handbook is required reading prior to requesting an appointment to make sure the process is right for you.
Once you have switched from a dependence on non-water soluble products and realized your curl potential, schedule your Deva haircut for even more amazing curl and style. No risk, nothing to lose but frizz and damage. You’ll have healthier, shinier, better hair at the end of 2 weeks whether you choose to get a Deva Cut or not!
See you soon,